Middle Michigan Development Corporation has been working diligently to stay as up-to-date as possible when it comes to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.
We have made it a priority to make resources available to help support businesses in Clare and Isabella county mitigate the impact of COVID-19. We will continue to add to this post as additional resources become available.
COVID-19 Resources for Michigan
The State of Michigan provides updates and resources for individuals, communities, health care providers, childcare, employers and their employees at http://michigan.gov/coronovirus.
You can also call the COVID-19 hotline at 888-535-6136 or email COVID19@michigan.gov to ask any questions you may have regarding COVID-19 and the State’s response.
Executive Orders Impacting Michigan Businesses
Multiple Executive Orders have gone out over the past few weeks impacting individuals and businesses state wide. All of the Governor’s Executive Orders can be found online.
Financial Resources and Business Support
There are a variety of financial resources and business support programs available for companies in Clare and Isabella county to take advantage of. These include:
- Great Lakes Giveback crowdfunding campaign – From June 15 – July 15, 2020, eligible small businesses can leverage their campaign to connect with customers and local communities to raise the support they need. Lake Trust will contribute $75,000 to help, with a match of up to $1,000 for each participating business. Applications will be accepted starting June 1 at 8 a.m.
- Michigan Entrepreneur Resilience Fund – a financial opportunity offering recovery grants of $1,000 – $5,000 and micro-loans of $5,000 – $10,000 to Michigan small businesses looking to reopen in the upcoming weeks. Please review all eligibility requirements and learn how to apply.
- MIOSHA MIWISH Grant – MIOSHA is offering matching funds of up to $5000 to support companies that need to purchase COVID-19 supplies and PPE. Learn more about this program and how to apply.
- Salesforce Care Small Business Grant – offers a $10,000 grant to help eligible small businesses negatively impacted by COVID-19. Application Period is now closed.
- Save Small Business Fund – Application period is now closed.
- Michigan Small Business Relief Program – Application period is now closed. Announcement of awards that have been granted to be announced by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation.
- COVID-19 Economic Injury Disaster Loan – no deadline to apply identified at this time.
- Paycheck Protection Loan Program – businesses with less than 500 employees are eligible to apply for 250% of their average total monthly payroll costs. Application period reopened on April 27th.
- Crowdfund without any fees – Patronicity is waiving all fees for businesses interested in raising support through Crowdfunding. Businesses must launch their campaigns before May 15th.
- Facebook Small Business Grant Program – Facebook has announced that they are making $100 million in grants and free advertising available to small businesses across the globe. Funding available for up to 30,000 businesses.
- Latitude Media Advertising Grants – Application period is now closed. My 1043 and WMMI radio announced that they have $10,000 in advertising grants to give to businesses that qualify in Isabella, Clare, Gratiot and Midland counties.
- COVID-19 Stimulus Bill – the National Conference of State Legislatures provides an overview of what the recently passed stimulus bill could mean for individual states.
Additionally, the Michigan Department of Treasury announced that small businesses scheduled to make their monthly sales, use and withholding tax payments on March 20th can postpone filing and payment requirements until April 20. Penalties and interest have also been waived for 30 days.
Under the CARES Act, employees may also defer paying the employee portion of certain payroll taxes, including the employer portion of FICA, through December 31, 2020. Deferred amounts are to be repaid in two equal installments, one by December 31, 2021 and the other by December 31, 2022. This provision is not available to the businesses that have participated in the Paycheck Protection Program. The CARES Act also allows for a refundable payroll tax credit of up to $5000 per employee whose operations were either fully or partially suspended as a result of a COVID-19 shutdown order. Organizations who experience a decrease in gross receipts by more than 50% compared to the same quarter in the previous fiscal year are also eligible. This credit is available for wages that are paid and/or incurred between March 13, 2020 and December 31, 2020. Neither of these provisions are available to the businesses that have participated in the Paycheck Protection Program.
Consumers Energy is also offering small businesses immediate help by:
- Working with small businesses on their utility bill
- Connecting small businesses to potential sources of state and federal relief
- Providing businesses with new opportunity through the Michigan Pure Business Connect program.
Further details on how Consumers Energy is supporting small businesses can be found here.
The Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity has a variety of resources to assist both employers and employees navigate the unemployment process. Resources include:
If you or your employees are essential works and require assistance finding childcare, please complete this form.
Community Support Opportunities
There are many ways we can continue to support businesses and each other throughout Clare and Isabella counties. A few ways to consider helping are as follows:
- Manufacturing PPE equipment (product details)
- Donating PPE equipment
- Supporting Open Businesses in Clare County
- Supporting Open Businesses in Isabella County
Additional COVID-19 Resources
- Central Michigan District Health Department
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
- Michigan SBDC Webinars for Small Businesses
- Additional Michigan SBDC Resources for Small Businesses During COVID-19
- Stand For Small Business Tools and Strategies
- Pure Michigan Business Connect COVID-19 Procurement Platform